Ready to set up your real estate agent home office, but unsure of where to start? This post will detail my setup and give you tips on how to stay organized so you can create content, generate leads, and sell more homes.
The Basics: Furniture
Having a desk you enjoy sitting (or standing) at is crucial. Make sure the desk you choose has ample workspace and doesn’t make you feel cramped or unmotivated.
Rather than purchase an overpriced computer desk from a local furniture store, I turned to Amazon to build my custom adjustable wooden desk. The desk is super simple to set up and costs under $500.
For me, the ability to work both sitting and standing has completely changed the way I work within my office. I like to stand when on Zoom calls or creating a video as I find I have more energy when standing. I only sit when I feel the need to take a break from standing most of the day.
Great looking wooden desk surface. It measures 58" x 26" which is the perfect size desk for most uses. It's also nearly an inch thick so clamping on a monitor or mic arm is simple and won't break the desk over time. Combine this with an electric adjustable base and you have one of the best computer desks I've ever used for under $500!
- Mobile Workstation: 4 lockable casters and cable management tray to improve working experience.
- Touch Control: Elegant controller touch screen with customizable settings for desired user heights.
- Sturdy Desk Frame: Use Anti-Collision Technology and commercial-grade materials, with a load capacity of 176lbs.
- Compatibility: 4 customizable height preset options.Frame Length: 43.31" to 59.05" Frame Height: 27.36”- 46.06".
- Trustworthy: We will provide you with efficient solutions and you could get our 30-day risk-free.
If you have space, you might consider adding a couch or lounge area to your home office. The one I have is the Edenbrook Parkview Upholstered Loveseat.
The Edenbrook Parkview is a great-looking, high-quality loveseat. It fits in fairly small spots and has a great contemporary look to it. When added to your home office, it gives you a nice break from sitting in the computer chair all day.
While a couch is certainly not a necessity here, it’s definitely a nice change of pace when you are on a call or looking to do your work in a more comfortable position. Take it a step further and get a LapGear Lap Desk.
- Compatibility: Fits up to 15. 6" laptops and most tablets.
- Phone Slot: Holds all cell phones vertically in 5" X 0.75" slot.
- Comfort: Innovative, dual-bolster cushion conforms to your lap, keeping you cool and comfortable.
- Mouse pad: Work surface includes integrated 5" X 9" mouse pad.
- Improved Air-flow: Smooth, flat surface allows for proper laptop ventilation, as recommended by laptop manufacturers.
Having a TV in your office is helpful when creating video content, so you can see what your YouTube video will look like on the big screen. My home office includes a Samsung TV that I use regularly to playback my content. Additionally, adding an Apple TV is a good option if you like to mirror your computer or phone screen onto your TV as I do.
- Crystal processor 4K: This ultra-fast processor transforms everything you watch into stunning 4K.
- Multi voice: Smart TV with Alexa and Bixby.
- Smart TV powered by Tizen: Go beyond Smart TV with next-gen apps, super easy control, and a host of enhancements that elevate the TV watching experience.
Storage cubes are useful for keeping your real estate agent home office free of clutter. I use the ClosetMaid 8-cube storage container to store things I don’t necessarily use on a daily basis, like my books and video equipment.
- Measures approximately 57.95 in. H x 29.84 in. W x 13.5 in. D; Inside Dimensions of 1 Cube: 13.5 in. H x 13.5 in. W
- 8-Cube organizer with a sturdy frame and open back
- Finished on front and back of the unit; Compatible with 13-inch. Decorative Fabric Storage Bins
When it comes to computer and AV equipment, there is no shortage of options on the market for you to choose from. Here are my picks for all things computer “tech”.
I currently use a MacBook Pro, which is a good option since I constantly edit videos. This laptop is powerful enough to edit videos and versatile enough to go with you to the coffee shop. However, it’s definitely on the higher side cost-wise.
If you’re not editing video and you prefer a PC over Mac, I recommend going with something more affordable like the 15″ Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop.
Powerful and portable, the Aspire 5 laptop delivers on every aspect of everyday computing. Housing the AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Mobile Processor, this Aspire 5 can tackle any job no matter how complex. Creativity soars to new heights with sharp, crisp visuals showcased on the 15.6" Full HD IPS screen, while the thin bezel provides you more space to work with wherever inspiration strikes. It’s the perfect companion to take with you wherever you go!
The Apple MacBook Pro has an Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance. Get more done with up to 20 hours of battery life, the longest ever in a Mac. Also, it features an 8-core CPU delivers up to 2.8x faster performance to fly through workflows quicker than ever.
While a laptop is nice for portability, having a desktop computer in your real estate agent home office will offer more monitor space when you are not on the move. In lieu of purchasing a separate computer, I highly recommend using a monitor that you can just plug your laptop into.
Not all monitors are created equal. For instance, if you are creating videos you’ll want to invest in a monitor with 4k resolution. Just make sure that whatever laptop you use is capable of outputting at 4k.
Setting up a single monitor will surely get the job done. I’ve personally switched to using two monitors so I can toggle between screens more easily and improve my workflow.
The monitor I recommend is this 27″ 4K Dell Monitors.
Check out the Monoprice Monitor Stand to elevate your monitor to eye level.
- A stunning view: The three-sided ultrathin bezel design in 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution lets you enjoy immersive viewing in incredible clarity and fine detail with 4 times the resolution of Full HD. Supports HDR content playback for a more lifelike visual experience.
- Beautiful look: Modern, elegant design with a subtle textured pattern at the back of the monitor has its own unique look. It brings the feeling of a harmonious blend of great style and quality into every living space.
- Leisure gaming: Smooth, tear-free experience with AMD FreeSync technology
- AMD FreeSync
- Give yourself an extra shelf with this Glass Multi Media Stand from Monoprice!
- The shelf is made of 3/8" plate glass and measures 22" wide and 9.5" deep
- The shelf is stabilized with four 1" diameter aluminum legs with a nominal height of 2.75"
- The feet can be extended up to 1" at each corner
- Maximum weight capacity of 66 lbs
Having a good Wi-Fi connection is so important to real estate in general, and even more so when you are working on content creation. Tasks that require a good amount of bandwidth, like uploading videos to Youtube or downloading a lot of files at once, will also benefit from a boost to your WiFi.
I use the Google Home Wi-Fi setup throughout my entire home to increase the speed of our WiFi. These Wi-Fi “pucks” come in packs of three, but you can set up as many as you want.
Good speakers can be beneficial if you are creating video content, making Zoom calls through your computer, watching videos, or just listening to music.
These Edifier Bookshelf speakers are less than a hundred dollars on Amazon and offer high sound quality for your buck.
Charging MacBook / MacBook Pro Dock
Newer Mac laptops don’t offer a variety of ports.
One solution to this USB C Docking Station. It not only provides an answer to the port problem but can charge your laptop at the same time using a single cord.
This dock has plugs for SD cards, a headphone and microphone jack, USB plugs, USB-C plugs, ethernet cables, and even a DVI port for your monitor.
For your computer’s internal storage, the Lacie 2 Big 16 Terabyte hard drive is a good option to ensure that you have plenty of space for all your files, especially if you are filming videos.
This hard drive has two 8 terabyte drives and it works by automatically writing to both disks at the same time. This way, if there was ever a malfunction, you can pull up the other drive as a backup and not lose your work.
- Quickly and easily connect to the latest Windows and Mac computers with Rugged’s reversible USB-C cable, or legacy computers using the included USB 3.0 adapter
- Enjoy fast USB-C 130MB/s file transfers, backups, and image browsing
- Confidently tackle any terrain with drop, crush, and rain resistance
Being proactive and keeping a backup of your work will save you from a lot of potential headache.
I use a cloud service called BackBlaze. I couple this with a program called Arc Backup, which automatically uploads new work from my laptop or hard drive to the BackBlaze cloud every few hours.
Never Lose a File Again with the World's Easiest Cloud Backup. Get peace of mind knowing your files are backed up securely in the cloud. Back up your Mac or PC for just $6/month. Get started today for FREE.
I’ve tried so many of the best real estate cameras on the market, and I really like my Sony A7C. This camera doesn’t come cheap, but it’s worth the price in terms of the quality footage it can create.
The Sony A7C shoots video in 4k and is full frame. Coupled with a good lens, it is capable of creating the perfect wide-angle shot. This is especially useful for real estate photography.
I recently upgraded to the Sony A7C from the A7III mainly due to the fact that the A7C has a flip-around screen. When filming yourself “selfie-style” this feature is invaluable and saves you a ton of time.
If you are using your camera often or for long periods of time, consider adding a dummy battery to it. A dummy battery is a backup that ensures your camera is always ready to go, without worrying if the battery will die midway through filming.
For creating videos or HDR photos, you will also want a tripod for your camera. A great option is the Zomei 58″ Lightweight Tripod. You can set this up behind your desk and have it ready to start recording on a whim.
For a more reasonably priced camera, check out the Sony ZV-1. This point-and-shoot camera is new to the market and has a lot of great features while being more gentle on your budget.
If you’re wondering how to shoot real estate videos, you’re probably wondering what camera you should get. The Sony Alpha 7C is the fourth digital camera that I’ve owned, and it is the perfect balance of features and portability. It’s a full-frame, mirrorless camera, 4K quality video, and 120fps footage. Before this camera came out, I used a Sony A7III, which lacks a screen you can flip around for vlogging. The Sony A7C adds in this feature, and it’s a bit smaller and cheaper than the A7III. If you’re looking for a mid-range camera, the Sony Alpha 7C is a great option.
- COMPATIBLE WITH: The Gonine NP-FZ100 DC Coupler, Replace Sony BC-QZ1 Charger, Sony Alpha a7 III (alpha 7 III / ILCE-7M3), Sony Alpha a7R III (alpha 7R III / ILCE-7RM3), Sony Alpha a9 (alpha 9 / ILCE-9) Digital Cameras.
- ADVANTAGE: This adapter kit compact and lightweight can continuously power the camera, whether it is using the camera for a long time to shoot video, or live webcast, or record the growth of plants, etc. You no longer need to worry about running out of the camera battery, it can help you record every wonderful moment continuously, It is an essential tool in our lives.
- 2-IN-1: Made of high-quality aluminum alloy tube and ABS environmental plastic. The max diameter is about 25mm, showing enough sturdiness; The monopod is detachable and portable.
- 3-Way Swivel Pan Head: with an Arca Swiss compatible clamp, easily to put on and off.
- Convenient: Weight 2.75 lbs, And packed with a carry bag, convenient to carry for the trip. Lightweight tripod with adjustable-height legs and rubber feet,4-section column leg with quick release locks provides a more convenient stance satisfying your desired height when shooting.
- Fast Hybrid AF, Real-Time Eye-AF3, and Real-time AF tracking
- Quickly switch between two modes of defocused background bokeh
- Product showcase setting transitions focus from face to object
- Face-priority AE keeps faces bright in backlit or dim condition
Out of all the wide-angle lenses I've used for Sony e-mount cameras, this Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 lens has the best overall value when paired with a full-frame Sony camera. The Tamron 17-28mm gives you that perfect wide-angle shot, and the f2.8 aperture creates a blurry background that is perfect for vlogs or shooting home interiors for real estate listing videos. The Tamron 17-28mm lens is available for under $800, a bargain compared to other lenses. It's also compact and lightweight, making it easier to carry along with you on a full day of shooting.
If it’s in the budget for two lenses, this would be my second pick. This lens is one of the best all-around lenses for walking and getting amazing photos and videos. It can be used for stunning portraits, capturing buttery b-roll, and still gets fairly wide at 28mm. This lens is tack sharp and won’t disappoint, especially for the price!
This is one of the best value webcams on the market. Super simple to set up and provides high-quality HD video. For less than $100 this will get anyone started with creating live or recorded video. I used this webcam for over a year before moving to my DSLR setup.
Elgato Cam Link 4K
If you don’t want to invest in a separate webcam, you can set up your DSLR camera as your webcam by purchasing a separate piece of hardware called a CamLink 4k by Elgato.
This device allows you to capture the footage straight from your DSLR and record it onto your computer, as if it were a webcam. It’s also a good option for Zoom calls.
Just note that the CamLink uses the same mini HDMI port as the External Monitor, so you won’t be able to use both at the same time.
- Super 5.7K: The Dual-Lens 360 Mod raises the bar with Super 5.7K resolution, leveraging H.265 encoding, advanced image processing and an AI-powered finishing algorithm to preserve detail and make your footage pop.
- FlowState Stabilization: FlowState achieves gimbal-like image stabilization without the gimbal. Thanks to a new scene-detection algorithm, your footage stays clear and steady even in low light.
- Invisible Selfie Stick Effect: Watch as your selfie stick automatically disappears in your edit! Capture easy aerial angles and unique third-person perspectives with a flick of the wrist.
- IPX8 Waterproof: Whether you're poolside or on a rainy-day ride, this waterproof action camera can handle it. Insta360 ONE R is IPX8 waterproof to 5 meters (16.4ft) when built in the included Mounting Bracket. Or use the Dive Case to keep your camera protected in rough water conditions (e.g. surfing).
Good audio separates the videos that get watched from those that get passed up. It amazes me that people will create video content but not invest in a quality microphone. This USB mic has excellent quality audio and best of all, plugs into your USB port on your computer. This is a great addition to a 1080p or 4k webcam. You can either have it sit on your desk or mount it on a mic arm (linked below). For nearly half of 2019 I rocked a webcam (linked below) and this mic for all my YouTube videos.
This mic arm clamps to your desk and allows you to swivel your mic back and forth and set it in the perfect position, about a fist length away from your mouth. When you’re done recording you can swivel the whole setup out of the way to keep a clean workspace. In addition, it comes with a cable management system to hide the mic cord and keep things nice and tidy.
For video editing, it can be nice to have a quality pair of headphones that allow you to clearly hear your audio.
The Status Audio CB1 Studio Monitor over-ear headphones are great at drowning out surrounding noises so you can focus on editing your video, or even just listen to music.
In addition, the noise canceling Apple Airpods Pro are a great option.
Praised by top musicians, producers, and audio engineers, the CB-1 headphones are an industry standard in recording studios around the world. Large 50mm drivers deliver studio-quality audio with a wide, expansive soundstage that puts you in the room with your favorite musicians. The CB-1’s padded headband and overstuffed earpads were designed to be comfortable during multi-hour recording sessions. Its over-the-ear design fully encloses the ear, offering passive noise canceling without putting extra pressure on your head.
- Active noise cancellation for immersive sound
- Transparency mode for hearing and connecting with the world around you
- Three sizes of soft, tapered silicone tips for a customizable fit
- Sweat and water-resistant
- Adaptive EQ automatically tunes the music to the shape of your ear
- Easy setup for all your Apple devices
- Quick access to Siri by saying “Hey Siri”
- The Wireless Charging Case delivers more than 24 hours of battery life
If you are looking to step up your production quality and get the most out of your current camera setup, make sure you have excellent lighting… notice I didn’t say expensive lighting. Amazon has a great setup with 3 softboxes. This is everything you need for an exceptionally lit video. Key light off to the side, a fill light off to the other side, and a hair light above and behind you shining down. I used a ring light for over a year and wish I would have started with this setup.
These miscellaneous items can be useful to keep around your real estate agent home office, depending on what your day-to-day real estate business looks like.
Mavic Pro Drone
The DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone is useful for taking aerial shots of a home at a listing shoot.
It comes with a “Fly More” bundle, including additional batteries and an extra charger, which is useful since the batteries only last for around twenty minutes.
- Lightweight & Compact - Opening possibilities for filmmakers and content creators in almost any situation, Ronin-SC was built to go anywhere.
- Tracks the Action - The Ronin app, and Ronin-SC work together seamlessly to achieve smooth, precise gimbal movement at all times, allowing you to focus more on creating the shot that matches your vision.
- Dynamic Stability - Even in action-packed scenes, Ronin-SC gives a perfectly stable shot. Continuous stabilization makes Ronin-SC more effective in fast follows, sudden motions, and even complete changes in direction.
LowePro Camera Backpack
Final Thoughts on Real Estate Agent Home Office
I hope this glimpse into what I keep in my real estate agent home office gives you inspiration to set up your own home office. While your equipment needs may look different depending on your specific business needs, your office should include everything you need to stay motivated and achieve success.
Would You Like To Partner With Me?
Check out my Partner Page for details on the benefits of working with me at eXp Realty. I’ve helped hundreds of real estate agents, team leaders, & brokers all over the country, increase their business & build additional revenue streams. Together, we can make this year your best yet!